By Terry Peterson
Rush’s new hospital building and our other campus improvements will do even more than transform health care in the Chicago area. The Rush Transformation also deepens and furthers Rush’s commitment to our surrounding community, providing jobs, job training and other economic opportunities to the residents of Chicago’s West Side.
Rush University Medical Center has been located on the West Side since 1871, and over the past few decades, it’s played a key role in the area’s emergence from a long period of economic struggle and physical decay. While two other medical schools moved away from the struggling neighborhood, Rush upheld its commitment to the area by investing in new facilities, including the Armour Academic Center, which opened in 1976, and the Atrium Building, which opened in 1982. In the following years, the West Side began to flourish as other new and refurbished buildings appeared, including offices and condominiums. Continue reading