Tolerance

toleranceJames Herrick, MD, was a renowned Rush Medical College graduate and faculty member credited with identifying sickle cell anemia. He practiced at Presbyterian Hospital, which later became part of Rush.

Rush archivist Nathalie Wheaton recently came across the following article, from the Presbyterian Hospital Bulletin, about a speech Herrick delivered shortly before Christmas, 1937.

Herrick_from-1910-class-comDr. James B. Herrick, a practicing physician for more than 50 years and a member of the Presbyterian Hospital Medical Staff since 1891, was the speaker at the Sunday morning service in the chapel of the University of Chicago, Sunday, Nov. 13. Some excerpts from his inspiring address on the subject of “Tolerance” are especially appropriate at this season when we are reminded of the angels’ song of peace and goodwill on that Christmas night of long ago.

After pointing out that the doctor has an unusual opportunity of seeing life both good and bad, because “he sees people just as they are,” Dr. Herrick said that “a true doctor has a dual personality. Toward diseases he must be impartially, even coldly, scientific. What is the nature of the illness? What can be done to ameliorate or cure it? Can it be prevented in the future? Toward the patient, however, the doctor must be sympathetic, in the derivational sense of the word — suffering with the afflicted one, whom he views not alone as a ‘case’ but as a thinking, feeling, timorous human being.”

“Tolerance” said Dr. Herrick, “is forbearance; it is the exercise of patience and charity toward one whose opinions or acts we do not approve. While we may condemn the deed, we do not necessarily condemn the doer. Though we believe our opinion and behavior are right, we do not, except by persuasion, education, or example try to induce him to give up his own view or to adopt our practice; unless, it must be added, he is periling society, for there is a limit even to tolerance. Intolerance, on the other hand, is offended by, and unwilling to put up with, opinions that differ from our own.

“But many of the differences that estrange people are not serious; they are largely due to the accident of when and where one was born; they are matters of race, country, custom, environment.

“Surely there are more common characteristics that should unite people than differences that should separate them. No one nation, no one race, no economic, intellectual or social group has a monopoly of the higher attributes such as honesty, kindness, idealism.

“So the doctor, as he grows older, learns to look upon people as, after all, very much alike. The question is not whether one in trouble is of this race or religion or that; whether he is cultured or ignorant. The question is whether the individual is ill or thinks he is. If so, the doctor tries to help him. Should not others, even those in high authority, have some such view of people as has the physician? A more liberal recognition of the brotherhood of man would help solve some of the troublesome problems of the day.”

More information

Fashion Forward: Ninety Years of Supporting Rush

For the past 90 years, the Woman’s Board of Rush University Medical Center has produced the longest continuously running charitable fashion show in the country. The Woman’s Board Fashion Show was described by Chicago magazine as a “being a philanthropic force” that serves as “a barometer of Chicago’s ever-changing fashion scene.”

Starting in 1926 with a benefit show for St. Luke’s Hospital, the fashion show continued as St. Luke’s merged with Presbyterian Hospital and then with Rush. The show has raised more than $32.6 million since it began keeping records of all fundraising efforts in 1974.

Here’s a sampling of Woman’s Board Fashion Show posters and program covers dating back to the 1920s, courtesy of the Rush Archives.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

In 2016, the Woman’s Board Fashion Show will support the Center for Veterans and Their Families at Rush, an innovative effort that connects veterans and their families with specialized mental health care, peer-to-peer outreach, counseling and resources they need to transition from military to civilian life.

Continue reading

From the Rush Archives: A Visit From St. Nick

SantaPresbyterian1939

If it’s the holiday season at Rush, it must be time to dig into the Rush Archives for photos from Decembers past.

This image from 1939 shows Santa visiting a 9-year-old boy who had to spend Christmas at Presbyterian Hospital (which would later become part of Rush).

“The suit worn by this jolly-looking St. Nick,” says the caption in the Presbyterian Hospital Bulletin, “has been worn here every Christmas for more than 50 years.”

From the Archives: First Electrocardiograph, 1913

Electrocardiograph1913

Chicago’s first electrocardiograph was installed 100 years ago at Presbyterian Hospital, which later became part of Rush University Medical Center.

Renowned heart specialist and Rush Medical College graduate James B. Herrick, MD, was instrumental in securing the equipment through a gift from Mrs. Cyrus McCormick, Sr., a noted Chicago philanthropist.

She also helped the hospital acquire an improved model in 1915 and provided substantial funding for research in heart disease.

According to the 1939 issue of the Presbyterian Hospital Bulletin, “It was with the aid of these instruments that Dr. Herrick made his first notable discoveries about coronary thrombosis and started on the trail which has brought fame to himself and immeasurable benefit to humanity.”

Electrocardiography measures the heart’s electrical activity and helps detect abnormalities.

From the Archives: Christmas Caroling, 1938

NursesSingingCarols1939

This image, which appeared in the December 1939 issue of the Presbyterian Hospital Bulletin, shows student nurses singing carols in a hospital corridor on Christmas morning, 1938.

“Care is taken not to disturb any seriously ill patients,” the caption explains, “but all others seem to regard this as a happy way of ushering in the Christmas day that is to be spent in the hospital.”

Presbyterian Hospital later became part of Rush University Medical Center.