A Father, a Son and a Cutlass Supreme

puppala-original
By Ramana K. Puppala, MD

My father, Shyam Puppala, MD, is a physician from Hyderabad, India, who immigrated to Chicago in 1976. His first job when he arrived in America was at Rush-Presbyterian-St. Luke’s Medical Center, working in the cardiovascular surgery department. My brother and I were both born at Rush, and our immediate family has received all of their major health care at Rush. I graduated from a Rush obstetrics and gynecology residency in 2005, and my brother, Vinaya Puppala, MD, graduated from a Rush general surgery internship in 2009.

Rush provided me and my family our health, education and livelihood. We would not be here without Rush.

A few months after I was born, my father brought me to work one afternoon for an appointment with my pediatrician. After that appointment, my mother took a photograph of my father and me next to his brand new 1978 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme at the top floor of the Rush parking structure, with the Chicago skyline in the background.

cutlass-reenactmantTwenty years later, I found that photograph in an old family album. I wondered if I would ever be able to recreate it. My father is my inspiration. I look up to him, and I desired to follow in his footsteps. I wanted to become a doctor, work at Rush, have a child, and find that same car so I could recreate that photograph.

Just over eight months ago, my wife and I were blessed with our first child. Shortly after my son’s arrival and over a decade of searching, I located the 1978 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme that was in the photograph. It was outside of Philadelphia and was carefully transported to Chicago. Even the original license plate number was reissued.

With the baby and the vehicle, all that was left was to recreate this photograph with father, son and grandson. I contacted Rush, which helped make this a dream come true.

See a video about the recreation of the image.

2 thoughts on “A Father, a Son and a Cutlass Supreme

1. Lovely picture of you and your son. Cheers to you to recreate the memory and the majic once again. Your story is truly inspiring. Good luck and best wishes To your little you and your family.