Running Injuries Rise With Marathon Training Mileage

Join Joshua Blomgren, DO, for tips on running injury prevention and treatment during an online chat from noon to 1 p.m. on July 25. Visit our Rush Facebook page to sign up for a reminder and view the chat.

By Joshua Blomgren, DO

As the temperatures rise in Chicago, I also see a rise in the number of running injuries that present to my office. The Bank of America Chicago Marathon hosts over 40,000 runners, many from Chicago and the surrounding suburbs, for the annual event that takes place in October.

Many runners see a large increase in their mileage as they begin to progress in their training programs, and most training plans for an October marathon will have the runners begin to progress to 10 miles and beyond around this time of year. It’s not uncommon for a patient to say things such as, “I did my long run this weekend and …” or “I did 10 miles last weekend, and this is the farthest I have ever run.” Often these long runs are met with aches and pain as the runners push toward their goal of completing 26.2 miles.

I have been a medical provider for the Bank of America Chicago Marathon since 2007 and medical director of the Chicago Athlete Magazine 20-Miler since 2010 and have seen my share of running injuries. Fortunately, most of the injuries commonly seen can be successfully treated without a major interruption in training, but there are some that may require a period of time away from running to resolve. In many cases, however, there is an identifiable cause to explain the pain/problem the runner has developed.

In my practice, I take a holistic approach to evaluating runners. I take into consideration the volume and intensity of their training, the age and type of footwear they are running in, and some inherent biomechanical factors such as foot and leg alignment and muscular imbalance.

Please join my for an online chat on July 25, when I will be discussing common running injuries and some injury prevention techniques.

Joshua Blomgren, DO, is a sports medicine orthopedic physician at Rush University Medical Center and Midwest Orthopaedics at Rush.