Readers Remember Luther Christman

“A remarkable leader.” “Ahead of his time.” “A maverick.”

They’re all references to Luther Christman, PhD, RN, emeritus dean of the Rush University College of Nursing who died on June 7, and they’re among the comments submitted to Rush InPerson by those who knew him.

Here are a few samples of the comments left on a previous post announcing a symposium in his honor on Nov. 6 at Rush University:

I will be forever grateful to Luther for his recognition of the importance of basic sciences to nursing education, practice, and research … and, on a very personal basis, his willingness to give me a chance!
— Jan Zeller

Dr. Christman was a true visionary. He developed ideas that people believed would never work. He succeeded with all of his projects and way beyond. It truly was a honor to next to him for many years. He gave me opportunities in the international nursing community which I will never forget. He was my mentor and a close friend after he left Rush. I will always be thankful for his direction.
— Jane Tarnow, DNSc, RN

Luther inspired, prodded, teased, and challenged his faculty and students to think outside the box and work to advance nursing practice and education. My fondest memories are of Luther “stirring the pot” and causing lively debate wherever he went. I am thankful to Luther for his encouragement and for challenging all of us to be better.
— Susan Groenwald

At 25 years of age, I was accepted to the short-lived Rush midwifery program and later completed my doctorate in Nursing at Rush. I was able to share with Luther a few years ago the story of how he changed my life. I started what is now the largest midwifery practice in Wisconsin and helped start the Marquette University College of Nursing, Midwifery Program. I still practice, teach and do research. My professional dreams have come true. I will always credit Luther for the boldness of my career.
— Lisa Hanson

Read more comments about Luther Christman or leave your own.