Motivation, or your driving force, plays a big role in losing weight and keeping the weight off. Weight changes can wear on feelings and overall quality of life. There are normal changes in weight, but going up and down a few pants sizes can be hard to manage physically and emotionally. Not losing sight of why you are pursing healthier behavior, or your motivation, is a key factor in weight management.
Here are some tips on how to improve motivation:
- Stay focused – Don’t allow outside pressures, such as people, settingsand feelings to change your motivation.
- Stay strong – No matter the situation, remember you are a strong person who’s able to obtain your goals.
- Stay positive – Don’t allow negative feelings from daily life to affect your motivation.
- Stay supported – Find support in friends, family or a local support group.
- Stay planned – Plan your meals and snacks in advance. Also, think about potential problems and what to do when you are tempted.
- Stay in the present – When falling into old habits, change thoughts to why your weight goal is crucial.
Staying motivated can be a hard task in weight management, but if you want a healthy lifestyle bad enough, you can achieve it. So stay motivated and remember that you’re worth obtaining your goals! If you have additional questions about motivation and nutrition for weight management, seek out a registered dietitian at: Rush’s Nutrition and Wellness Center, or call (312) 942-DIET.
Laura Oliver is an MS clinical nutrition candidate and dietetic intern at Rush University Medical Center.