Nurse, Nursing Student Values Rush Training

Photo by Kevin Horan

By Benson Wright

Rush provides an investment in its nurses that most other institutions can’t match. I’m not only a student in two of Rush’s graduate nursing programs, I’m also a nurse on the surgical intensive care unit and in the emergency department at Rush.

During my career I’ve been a nurse at three different hospitals in a variety of clinical settings, and none of them showed Rush’s level of commitment to developing their clinical nursing staff.

At Rush, students and staff have so much encouragement to be agents of change. I was one of three students from Rush selected as 2010-2011 Schweitzer Fellows. For my fellowship, I’ve designed and implemented a health education program for homeless youth at the Broadway Youth Center, run by Howard Brown Health Center.

Rush has a culture where everyone shares responsibility for meeting the needs of our community. Until now, there haven’t been many services available to homeless youth — I’m proud to be part of the solution.

The high quality of Rush’s educational enterprise is due in part to the quality of its patient care. Rush’s Magnet-designated nurses are the same skilled teachers and researchers who educate us in the College of Nursing; they promote clinical research and evidence-based practice and have real bedside experience to share. One day, I will be a nurse educator who helps shape clinical nursing practice; Rush is the best place to get me there.

Benson Wright is a College of Nursing student and clinical nurse at Rush. He is featured in Rush’s 2010 Annual Report.