In this Rush Archives image from 1974, John S. Graettinger, MD, dean of Student and Faculty Affairs, carries the ceremonial mace of the university during the commencement processional for Rush Medical College.
In 1974, Rush Medical College celebrated its 100th commencement ceremony. It was the first commencement to include Rush University’s ceremonial mace.
The Rush University mace was designed by longtime Rush physician Steven Economou, MD. Each face features the seal of a Rush University constituent college. Elements of the mace also honor the legacies of Rush Medical College, St. Luke’s Hospital and Presbyterian Hospital.
The top of the mace includes phoenix wings, which symbolize the rebirth of Rush Medical College after its dormancy between 1942 and 1969. The Rush corporate logo rises from within the phoenix wings.