By Heather Stecklein
The Rush Medical College building was constructed on the northeast corner of Wood and Harrison streets in 1876. It served as a multipurpose facility.
In addition to classrooms and a lecture amphitheater, the structure included a free dispensary with a large waiting room, a drugstore, 10 consultation rooms for private clinics, professors’ offices, a dissecting room, a museum, and a bedroom and parlor for its live-in janitor.
The building stood at this location for nearly 50 years. It was replaced by the Rawson building in 1924.