Tradition, Transformation and Giving Thanks

By Brad Hinrichs

Thanksgiving Day is a distant memory by now, but one of the best traditions of that holiday comes to mind and seems particularly appropriate to me now. That tradition is to reminisce about what we are particularly grateful for, and as the name of the holiday literally implies, to engage in some “thanks giving” as a result. So let me take a minute to do just that.

I am grateful for the thousands of colleagues at Rush University Medical Center whose commitment to “the patient comes first” seems as strong to me as it did 40 years ago, when I recall that same message being delivered by then-president Dr. James A. Campbell in my new employee orientation session. This guiding principle has been key in making Rush the outstanding patient care organization that it is and has made being affiliated with it for so long such a privilege. Thanks to each and every one of you.

I am grateful for the teamwork and support that I see and experience routinely among Rush people. While the opening of the Tower in January is an important example of this, it is just one of many. Over time, I have been fortunate to witness and participate in many initiatives that called for people from all parts of the Medical Center to come together to solve important problems, launch exciting new programs, and reinvent and redesign processes. Each time, there has been incredible enthusiasm, dedication and collaboration.

I am also grateful for Rush’s longstanding, formal commitment to diversity and inclusiveness and for the efforts that are actively under way now to make Rush a truly welcoming place for everyone. This is a journey and is not without its challenges, but I am grateful that Rush is committed to this and that the Executive Leadership Council, with support from the Diversity Leadership Group, has embraced this outcome and established specific goals to measure our progress along the way. Thanks so much from all of us who welcome this progressive and important work.

Teamwork is alive and well at Rush, and our patients and their families benefit greatly from it. Thanks to each of you for your spirit of teamwork and good humor. I am truly grateful.

Brad Hinrichs is the administrative vice president of Transformation and Department of Health Systems Management assistant professor at Rush University Medical Center.